Are you looking to meet the characters of Galaxy’s Edge? If you are a Disney Parks regular, you should know that the experience is different. Instead of waiting in line, characters rove throughout Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge. While you can meet them, it takes a little luck. Here is everything you need to know about the Galaxy’s Edge characters you can meet and tips for how to get photos with them.
What Star Wars Characters Can You Meet in Galaxy’s Edge?
Set on the edge of wild space, Batuu is known for hosting a variety of colorful characters from across the galaxy. While some live and work on the planet, others are hiding out. Whether you are visiting Disneyland Park in California or Walt Disney World in Florida, there are many different characters you can encounter in Galaxy’s Edge. From Resistance members like Rey and Chewbacca to Kylo Ren and First Order troopers, here are all the characters that roam around Black Spire Outpost.
The best place to spot Rey is walking between the Resistance Outpost and the Falcon in the Spaceport. Although she will occasionally walk through the Marketplace, she usually prefers the path through the Land Port. However, she typically avoids the Merchant Row and the Service Yard because of First Order activity.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, Rey was most commonly found at Black Spire Station in the Land Port with Chewbacca. While she does travel around Batuu again, she does sometimes still appear there.
Rey also appears in the briefing room before your Rise of the Resistance adventure. While you cannot get very close to her, you can still grab a quick selfie.
Like Rey, Chewie is usually found walking through the Resistance Outpost or working around the Millennium Falcon in the Spaceport. While he does use the Land Port pathway, he typically avoids the Marketplace, Merchant Row, and the Service Yard.
Chewbacca and Rey were commonly found at the Black Spire Station in the Land Port during the COVID-19 pandemic. While rare, he sometimes still appears there today.
Chewbacca also appears on several display screens during the Smugglers Run mission briefing. While you can take photos of Chewie on the screen, it is unlikely you can get a selfie together unless your timing is impeccable.
If you unlock Chewie Mode, you will go on your Smugglers Run adventure with Chewbacca instead of Hondo Ohnaka. While you do not see Chewbacca, all of Hondo’s dialogue is replaced with Chewie talking in Shyriiwook.
While occasionally found walking in the open around the Resistance Outpost, Rebel spy Vi Moradi lurks throughout all the shadowy corners of Black Spire Outpost. Keeping tabs on the First Order, she can be found almost anywhere in Galaxy’s Edge. As with most characters, Vi appeared at Black Spire Station during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The best place to find Kylo Ren is around the TIE Echelon shuttle on Docking Bay 9. He will usually walk around Merchant Row and the Service Yard. You can occasionally find him around the Land Port as well. Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, he was frequently found at Black Spire Station in the Land Port district.
You will also encounter Kylo Ren during your Rise of the Resistance experience. While you can likely snap a few holoscans of him, getting a selfie with him will take some incredible luck.
First Order Officers
First Order officers appear with Kylo Ren and Stormtroopers at the TIE Echelon shuttle on Docking Bay 9. However, they will occasionally follow Kylo Ren throughout Black Spire Outpost. Although rare, they do appear on their own occasionally or with the Stormtroopers.
First Order Stormtroopers
The First Order troopers frequently patrol Merchant Row, the Service Yard, and the Land Port. They are less frequently seen in the Spaceport and Marketplace. They can travel alone, with Kylo Ren, and with a First Order Officer.
Although rare, R2-D2 does cruise around the Land Port between Droid Depot and Black Spire Station at times. He is most commonly around on clear days when park attendance is low to moderate. However, you can visit Droid Depot if you want a photo with R2. There is a full-size replica for sale inside where you can snap a quick image capture.
Din Djarin, The Mandalorian, and Grogu
At Disneyland in California, the best place to find Din and Grogu is in the Land Port by Black Spire Station but they also wall the Marketplace sometimes. At Disney World in Flordia, they are commonly found around the Marketplace and Land Port.
The Mandalorian and Grogu first appeared at Disneyland in California on November 18, 2022, and at Disney’s Hollywood Studios in Florida on March 1, 2023. Din and Grogu were the second set of additional characters to appear at Disneyland and the first to appear at Walt Disney World. Grogu previously appeared in Magic Shots in both Disney Parks.
Boba Fett (Disneyland Exclusive)
At this time, Boba Fett is exclusive to Batuu West at Disneyland Resort in California. You can usually find Boba in the Land Port by Black Spire Station, but he will also make appearances in the Marketplace near Ronto Roasters. Boba Fett first appeared in Disneyland on May 28, 2022.
Fennec Shand (Disneyland Exclusive)
Like Boba Fett, meeting Fennec Shand only appears at Disneyland in California. The best place to find Fennec is the Marketplace and the Land Port. However, she occasionally appears in the Spaceport as well. One of the first expansion characters, Fennec was added to Disneyland on May 28, 2022.
Ahsoka Tano (Disneyland Exclusive)
Ahsoka Tano arrived at Galaxy’s Edge West at Disneyland Resort on August 23, 2023. Her appearance coincided with the debut of the new Ahsoka series on Disney+. Like the other characters, Ahsoka wanders through the Marketplace and Land Port. Details of the meetup were announced at a D23 fan event in Tomorrowland on August 17. Fans got to watch the first two episodes of the series, and then meet Ahsoka afterward. It is unclear if or when Ahsoka will appear at Galaxy’s Edge East at Walt Disney World in Florida.
Hera Syndulla and Chopper (Disneyland Exclusive)
On the heels of Ahsoka’s arrival, General Hera Syndulla and her droid C1-10P – better known as “Chopper” – are now making appearances at Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disneyland Resort in California. The New Republic General and her droid first appeared on September 8, 2023. Hera and Chopper first appeared in Star Wars: Rebels, voiced by Vanessa Marshall and Dave Filoni, respectively. The characters appear in the live-action Ahsoka series, with Filoni reprising his role as Chopper and Mary Elizabeth Winsted playing Hera. As with many other Disneyland exclusive characters, it is unclear if or when Hera and Chopper will appear at the Galaxy’s Edge at Disney’s Hollywood Studios in Florida.
What Is the Best Way To Get Photos With Characters in Galaxy’s Edge?
The best way to get photos with characters in Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge is to keep an eye out and move quickly. Unlike other lands in the Disney Parks, Galaxy’s Edge is a living part of the Star Wars universe.
While the characters may stop occasionally, they are on important missions. It is rare that they will pose for photos. Here are some tips for getting photos with your favorite character in Galaxy’s Edge.
- Have your camera ready because you will only have a short window to get a picture.
- When you see your favorite character, approach them quickly.
- Use a greeting like “Bright Suns”, “Rising Moons”, “May the Force be with you”, or “For the Order” to attract their attention.
- Talk with them about their mission.
- Politely ask if you can do a quick image capture.
- Most importantly, be patient.
Due to the popularity of Din Djarin, Grogu, Boba Fett, Fennec Shand, and Ahsoka Tano, those characters tend to move through thick crowds to an area where guests can get image captures. However, they do not have official queues like many other character meet and greets.
Other Characters That Appear in Galaxy’s Edge
Aside from the roaming characters, there are several other characters that appear in the attractions throughout Galaxy’s Edge
Rise of the Resistance
In addition to Rey and Kylo Ren, you will come across a number of other Star Wars characters on Rise of the Resistance. While you can take photos of these characters, taking photos with them requires the right placement and timing.
- BB-8 – Poe Dameron’s astromech and a frequent companion to Rey, BB-8 appears in the briefing room before you join the Resistance transport.
- Poe Dameron – One of the best pilots in the Resistance, Poe Dameron is part of the flight group.
- Nien Nunb – Once a pilot in the Rebel Alliance, Nien Nunb serves as your pilot.
- Lieutenant Bek – The leader of your mission, Lieutenant Bek rides aboard the Resistance transport with you.
- Finn – Taking part in a special mission, you encounter Finn during your adventure.
- General Hux – One of the leaders of the First Order, you will encounter General Hux.
Although infrequent, Rey, Chewbacca, and even Vi will walk occasionally through the queue if the attraction has extended downtime.
- Hondo Ohnaka – You will encounter the infamous pirate turned entrepreneur Hondo Ohnaka during Smugglers Run. You will hear Hondo over the intercom during your wait. He then gives your mission briefing prior to going down the boarding ramp to the Millennium Falcon. Finally, he guides you on your adventure during the attraction. With a little luck, you can take a selfie with Hondo if your timing is right. This is easiest from the right queue but is still doable from the left queue.
- R5-P8 – Hondo Ohnaka’s astromech R5-P8 appears during the Smugglers Run mission briefing. If you position yourself correctly, you can grab a selfie with R5 before stepping foot on the boarding ramp to the Falcon. The best place to get a photo with R5 is on the right side of the left queue. While it is possible from the right queue, it does make the photo opportunity more challenging.
- Dok-Ondar – Unless Dok is traveling, you can find him inside his Den of Antiquities at the end of the marketplace. The Ithorian collector is often seen assessing recent acquisitions behind the counter at his shop.
- Oga Garara – While you cannot see Oga, her unmistakable presence is heard throughout the cantina. She will frequently use the internal comm system to complain about customers asking for a credit line, employees asking for a day off, and any number of other inconveniences.
- DJ R-3x – An RX-Series pilot droid, DJ R-3x once piloted a Star Commuter 2000 based on Lothal. R-3x later piloted a StarSpeeder 3000 for Star Tours. They now serve as the house DJ at Oga’s Cantina. Thanks for R-3x’s faulty programming, every day is their first day at Oga’s. At Batuu East in Dinsey’s Hollywood Studios in Florida, you can see R-3x’s escape pod along the path from the Droid Depot service plaza to Toy Story Land.
Rooks is an SEO strategist, writer, and content editor that occasionally masquerades as a designer, photographer, and cook.
A lifelong Star Wars geek, his earliest memories are playing with Kenner action figures while watching the Original Trilogy on VHS. Aside from keeping up with the latest Star Wars movies, shows, books, and comics, he enjoys living out his own Star Wars story at Galaxy’s Edge East.
Aside from Star Wars, his fandoms include the MCU, Harry Potter, Battlestar Galactica, and the Lord of the Rings. Other hobbies include traveling, craft brewing, and beat-matching.
Rooks is passionate about cooking and loves discussing and occasionally writing about food, beer, and cocktails. You can usually find him hamming out words at a local coffee shop or brewery, eating around Orlando with his wife, and doing anything to avoid folding the laundry.