Long before Galaxy’s Edge, Star Tours is one of the first collaborations between George Lucas and Walt Disney Imagineering inside the Disney Parks. It opened at Disneyland in 1987, followed by versions in Tokyo Disneyland, Hollywood Studios in Walt Disney World, and Disneyland Paris. In 2011, The Adventures Continue update introduced a variety of exciting travel destinations. Since 2019, there are 140 unique combinations in Star Tours. The attraction features 23 segments featuring characters and locations from the Original, Prequel, and Sequel Trilogies.
Spoiler Warning: The first half of this article contains general spoilers about the characters and locations you encounter during Star Tours – The Adventures Continue. There is a second spoiler warning below that notes when detailed spoilers about the attraction begin.
How Many Total Combinations Are There in Star Tours?
Unfortunately, there is a lot of confusion about how many story combinations there are in Star Tours. This is due, at least in part, to the number of changes to the ride over the years. Calculating the combinations comes down to the number of segments, the number of sequences, and a basic understanding of the ride operation.
The current version of Star Tours – The Adventures Continues has 23 segments that appear in 4 distinct story sequences. There are 5 opening encounters, 5 first destinations, 7 hologram transmissions, and 6-second destinations. Those totals include alternate versions of both the Darth Vader encounter and the Naboo second destination sequence.
To calculate the total number of combinations, you multiply the number of versions of each story sequence together with this simple formula:
Number of Opening Encounters x Number of First Destinations x Number of Hologram Transmissions x Number of Second Destinations = Total Combinations
Which would be:
5 x 5 x 7 x 6 = 1050
However, this doesn’t take into account ride operations.
Since the time of The Last Jedi update in 2017, the Sequel era segments do not appear with the other eras of Star Wars. In this case, getting the total combinations takes separate calculations for the original post-Prequel era segments and Sequel era segments that were added over time.
Post-Prequel era Calculations:
3 x 3 x 3 x 4 = 108
Sequel Trilogy Calculations:
2 x 2 x 4 x 2 = 32
Total Current Combinations:
108 + 32 = 140
While 140 is the current number of combinations, this wasn’t always the case. The exact number of combinations has changed several times over the course of the attraction.
History of Combinations in Star Tours
The original attraction that opened at Disneyland Park in 1987 only had a single story and did not use the randomizer. The subsequent versions of the original ride at Tokyo Disneyland, Walt Disney World, and Disneyland Paris featured that same ride experience.
When Star Tours – The Adventures Continue first opened in 2011, there were 108 unique combinations. George Kalogridis, then Disneyland Resort President, originally said there were 54 possible experiences during the D23 Destination D event in September 2010. However, that number does not account for the alternate versions of the Darth Vader encounter and the Naboo second destination sequences. More on these variants below.
The attraction was updated again on November 16, 2015, ahead of The Force Awakens release. Jakku appeared as the first destination, with BB-8 showing up in the hologram segment. You were guaranteed to get both experiences when they first came out. Later, they were randomly selected with the other options. These new segments increased the total storytelling combinations to 192.
Added on November 17, 2017, The Last Jedi updates were even more extensive. Two new opening encounters with Kylo Ren and First Order stormtroopers were added, along with holograms from both Poe Dameron and Maz Kanata.
Crait was also added as a potential second destination. While these updates would have increased the total combinations to 600, Disney updated the ride experience so the Sequel era segments did not appear with other eras in the attraction. Because of this change, there were only 112 unique combinations.
Added on December 20, 2019, the same day The Rise of Skywalker was released, the most recent update included 3 new segments. The ocean moon Kef Bir was added as the first location, with a new holographic transmission from Lando Calrissian and Exegol as a second destination. This update increased the combinations to the current total of 140.
Spoiler Free List of Segments
Here is the spoiler-free list of segments you can experience on Star Tours. All segments appeared as part of the original 2011 release unless otherwise noted.
Each Star Tours flight starts with the StarSpeeder 1000 departing Spaceport THX1138, a reference to George Lucas’ first feature film. Just after take-off, you have an opening encounter before traveling to your first destination. Afterward, you receive an urgent hologram transmission, followed by a visit to a second destination. While the landing is technically another sequence, they are unique to each second destination.
- Opening Encounter (5)
- Darth Vader
- Darth Vader (Alternate)
- Imperial Stormtroopers
- Kylo Ren [The Last Jedi update]
- First Order Stormtroopers [The Last Jedi update]
- First Destination (5)
- Jakku [The Force Awakens update]
- Kef Bir [The Rise of Skywalker update]
- Holographic Transmission (7)
- Admiral Ackbar
- Princess Leia Organa
- BB-8 [The Force Awakens update]
- Maz Kanata [The Last Jedi update]
- Poe Dameron [The Last Jedi update]
- Lando Calrissian [The Rise of Skywalker update]
- Second Destination & Landing (6)
- Coruscant > Coruscant landing pad
- Geonosis > Rebel Fleet
- Naboo > Naboo hanger
- Naboo > Naboo hanger (Alternate)
- Crait > Batuu landing pad [The Last Jedi update]
- Exegol > Spaceport THX1138 [The Rise of Skywalker update]
SPOILER WARNING: The remainder of this article includes heavy spoilers related to the current version of Star Tours – The Adventures Continue.
How Many Segments Are There in Star Tours?
While most sources list 21, there are actually 23 unique segments in Star Tours. While easy to overlook, the Darth Vader encounter and the Naboo destination both have two different variants.
When originally released in 2011, the segments focused on Prequel Trilogy locations. Hoth is the only location from the Original Trilogy that appears in the attraction. Locations from the Sequel Trilogy were added around the time that each film was released.
There are five opening sequences to Star Tours:
- Darth Vader – As you take off, you encounter Darth Vader looking for a Rebel spy on board the StarSpeeder 1000. Flanked by a squad of stormtroopers, Vader uses the Force to delay the StarSpeeder from departing.
- Darth Vader Alternate with Boba Fett – A variant of the other Vader experience, Boba Fett also appears to search for the Rebel spy. However, the rest of the sequence is identical.
- Imperial Stormtroopers with Han Solo – Stormtroopers stop the StarSpeeder from taking off to check for the Rebel spy. An Imperial Probe Droid confirms the spy is on board. In the background, stormtroopers question Han Solo outside the Millennium Falcon.
- Kylo Ren – Very similar to the Darth Vader version, Kylo Ren prevents the StarSpeeder from taking off to check for a Resistant Spy. The stormtroopers wear First Order armor. This sequence was added during The Last Jedi updates.
- First Order Stormtroopers with Rey – Added during The Last Jedi updates and nearly identical to the Imperial trooper version, First Order troopers stop you from departing the space station. In the background, you can see Rey and BB-8 being questioned by troopers before escaping into the Falcon.
Regardless of your encounter, R2 uses the laser cannons to break free and escape the spaceport. You then evade Star Destroyers and TIE Fighters and make it the jump to hyperspace.
After exiting hyperspace, you visit your first destination. The potential destinations are:
- Hoth – You arrive on the planet Hoth, where the Rebel Alliance is under siege by the Empire. The StarSpeeder 1000 is shot down by an AT-AT, crash landing on a cliff edge. You then free-fall into a deep canyon and slide along the icy surface, only to get launched back into the air. R2-D2 miraculously gets the engines working, rocketing you back into outer space.
- Kashyyyk – The StarSpeeder 1000 encounters Scout Troopers chasing Chewbacca and another Wookiee warrior on Kashyyyk. As you fly through the lush forest and over Wookiee villages, a Scout Trooper hits a tree branch. Later, Chewbacca falls and hits the StarSpeeder’s windshield. The StarSpeeder 1000 then blasts off into space, narrowly avoiding a shyyyo blue bird and Wookiees swinging on vines.
- Tatooine – The StarSpeeder 1000 takes part in the Boonta Eve Classic Podrace on Tatooine, competing against Sebulba and other popular podracing pilots. After a series of collisions, the speeder gets tangled up with a podracer. Although Sebulba tries to sabotage the race, the enhanced StarSpeeder overtakes him to win. Losing control after the finish line, the podracer crashes, and the StarSpeeder narrowly avoids the crowd before flying back into space.
- Jakku – Added during The Force Awakens update, the StarSpeeder 1000 follows the Millennium Falcon, piloted by Finn or Rey, as it is chased by First Order TIE fighters on Jakku. The Millennium Falcon accidentally shoots the StarSpeeder with its turret, causing it to crash land in the remains of a destroyed Star Destroyer. Scavengers steal the Star Tours logo from the front of the StarSpeeder before R2-D2 can get the engines back online. However, you eventually manage to take off into space.
- Kef Bir – Added during The Rise of Skywalker update, the StarSpeeder 1000 makes a water landing on Kef Bir in the Endor system. Pushed around by turbulent waves, you explore the wreckage of the second Death Star. You encounter a Dianoga, the monster found in the trash compactor, before eventually making it back to outer space.
Next, you receive an urgent holographic transmission from someone connected to the Rebel Alliance or the Resistance. The original options were Admiral Akbar, the Rebel Alliance military commander, Princess Leia Organa, the Junior Senator from Alderaan, or Yoda, Grand Master of the Jedi Order.
BB-8, the Resistance astromech droid, was added during The Force Awakens update. Resistance captain Poe Dameron and notable collector Maz Kanata were added in The Last Jedi update. Smuggler, gambler, and Rebel Alliance General Lando Calrissian was added in The Rise of Skywalker update.
The interactions typically involve C-3PO not wanting to get involved, while the being in the hologram uses a quote from one of the movies. After receiving the coordinates, the StarSpeeder 1000 enters hyperspace again.
Second Destination & Landing
- Coruscant – The StarSpeeder 1000 arrives in the upper atmosphere of Coruscant, during a space battle between the Separatists and the Grand Army of the Republic. Buzz droids attach themselves to the windshield. R2-D2 blasts them off with an electric shock to blast them off, but not before they damage the stabilizers. With the StarSpeeder powerless, you fall into the atmosphere and through the bustling sky traffic of the city planet. After several close calls, the StarSpeeder comes to a stop on a landing platform. It narrowly avoids a fuel tanker before crashing into a traffic control droid.
- Geonosis – The StarSpeeder 1000 comes across an unfinished Death Star orbiting the planet Geonosis. While navigating through an asteroid field, the StarSpeeder 1000 is ambushed by Boba Fett in his ship, Slave I. You evade laser fire and exploding asteroids before entering the Death Star. After escaping through a hangar bay, you are confronted again by Boba Fett. Fett launches a sonic bomb, which is deflected back by a laser blast from the StarSpeeder, causing significant damage to the bounty hunter’s ship. This allows you to make the jump to lightspeed and reach the Rebel fleet. The StarSpeeder 1000 then lands on a Mon Calamari cruiser, where leaders of the Rebel Alliance await to offer congratulations.
- Naboo – The StarSpeeder 1000 arrives during the battle of Naboo, where the planet is under attack by the Trade Federation’s control ship armies. Three N-1 Naboo starfighters lead the StarSpeeder to the surface. Shot down by a vulture droid, the StarSpeeder 1000 crashes into the ocean. You then approach the Gungan city of Otoh Gunga, narrowly avoiding collision with Jar Jar Binks. The Gungans provide instructions for the StarSpeeder 1000 to follow a Gungan Bongo that will guide it through the planet’s core. However, the journey is hindered by an opee sea killer attacking the guide, which is then eaten by a sando aqua monster. As the guide manages to escape, a colo claw fish attempts to attack the StarSpeeder 1000 but is repelled by R2-D2’s electric shock. Shooting out of the water, you skip across the surface of the water into a hangar filled with damaged starfighters. The StarSpeeder 1000 bumps into the tail of a Naboo starfighter, causing the tail to fall off and angering the pit droid. The pit droid expresses its frustration by throwing gold paint at the StarSpeeder 1000 before storming off.
- Naboo Alternate – Nearly identical to the other Naboo segment, the tail of the Naboo starfighter crashes through the StarSpeeder’s windscreen. The pit droid angrily shakes its fist at you before they fall off the tail.
- Crait – The StarSpeeder 1000 reaches the planet Crait. Pursued by First Order TIE fighters, you descend into the planet’s crystal mines. After a brief chase, the StarSpeeder escapes the mines to the salt flats. Led by General Hux, First Order AT-M6s and AT-ATs are attacking the Resistance base. Poe Dameron asked the StarSpeeder 1000 for aid. A speeder crosses in front of the StarSpeed 1000, coating the windshield in red salt before R2 clears it away with wipers. General Hux orders the destruction of StarSpeeder 1000. The StarSpeeder 1000 blows up an AT-M6, then escapes into lightspeed. After jumping into hyperspace, the StarSpeeder 1000 lands safely on the remote planet of Batuu. This scene was added during The Last Jedi update.
- Exegol – Exegol appears as a potential location during The Rise of Skywalker update. After an urgent message from Lando, the StarSpeeder 1000 travels to Exegol to aid the Resistance in facing the Sith Eternal’s fleet. The StarSpeeder 1000 engages in the battle and helps defeat the Sith forces. Then the StarSpeeder 1000 jumps to lightspeed and returns safely to the spaceport. After landing, the StarSpeeder 1000 captain runs toward the ship in anger.
Rooks is an SEO strategist, writer, and content editor that occasionally masquerades as a designer, photographer, and cook.
A lifelong Star Wars geek, his earliest memories are playing with Kenner action figures while watching the Original Trilogy on VHS. Aside from keeping up with the latest Star Wars movies, shows, books, and comics, he enjoys living out his own Star Wars story at Galaxy’s Edge East.
Aside from Star Wars, his fandoms include the MCU, Harry Potter, Battlestar Galactica, and the Lord of the Rings. Other hobbies include traveling, craft brewing, and beat-matching.
Rooks is passionate about cooking and loves discussing and occasionally writing about food, beer, and cocktails. You can usually find him hamming out words at a local coffee shop or brewery, eating around Orlando with his wife, and doing anything to avoid folding the laundry.